One-Armed Judo Champion


There is a story about a boy who lost his left arm in a tragic auto accident. The boy struggled with depression and rarely left his house. One day the boy told his father that he would like to sign up to take judo lessons because it was possible to do Judo with only one arm. The father, eager to do anything that might cheer up his son, quickly agreed and secured a sensei to instruct his son.

The boy went to lessons three times per week. While he learned some basic judo movements, most of the time he concentrated on learning just one move. Time and time again the training sessions focused on this one specific move that the judo teacher insisted the boy learn perfectly.

After a couple months, the judo teacher told the boy that he was going to be entered into a tournament. The boy responded with surprise. “Sensei, I’ve only been taking judo for a couple months. I only know one move and I only have one arm. I don’t think I’m ready for a tournament." But the sensei insisted.

The day of the tournament came and, to the young man’s surprise, he made his way through the first round and then the second. He passed the 3rd round and couldn’t believe his success that day. What ultimately surprised him was that he made his way to the finals and was about to face the state Judo champion. At this point, he was sure that with only one arm and one move he was going to be destroyed, but, sure enough, he won.

On the drive home the boy turned to his instructor and said, “I don’t understand Sensei, I have only been taking Judo for a couple of months. I only know one move, and I only have one arm. Yet I just beat the state champion. I just won the tournament! Sensei, how is this possible?”

The Sensei turned and looked at the boy and said, "You won for 2 reasons. First, the one move that you have perfected is the most effective move in all of judo. The second reason is the only defense against hat move is to grab your opponents left arm.”

1 comment:

  1. Can you please advise what throw this was the boy used? I have done Judo for 10+ years up to 1st Dan and have never encountered any throw from which there is only one method of escape. All throws have multiple options open to the defender to counter - if he/she knows them and is fast enough.

    Thanks!

    Dave Morrison

    ReplyDelete